The University of Edinburgh’s FloWave Ocean Energy Research Facility houses a 25m diameter circular pool containing more than 2 million litres of water and is designed specifically for testing marine renewable energy technologies.
The first of its kind in the world, this unique facility is able to accurately replicate real-sea conditions of waves and currents at scale for normal, challenging and extreme events for any offshore location. Enabling industry and academia to refine concepts, improve performance, and de-risk designs in a fully controllable and safe way at relatively low cost, FloWave will be a vital tool to help engineers harness the power of the sea.
FloWave can provide:
• 25m circular test tank of 2m useable water depth, with a raisable floor for easy access
• 360° monochromatic, multi-directional, multi-modal sea-states of up to 700m wave height
• 360° controllable current flows of up to 1.6 m/s, with ‘less than ocean’ levels of turbulence
• Simultaneous wave and current operation, for accurate ‘real-sea’ force combinations
• A test area >220m2 for array project testing and numerical model validation
• Unrivalled control and repeatability for ‘go away and come back’ evolutionary design
• Scale capabilities between 1/40th and 1/10th, optimised for 1/20th to meet sector needs
• Full instrumentation suite, including above and below water 3D motion capture
• Five tonne crane for model lifts, workshop facilities and client hot-desk space
• Technical engineering support from FloWave staff before, during, between and after testing
• Optional access to additional technical and academic expertise from the University’s School of Engineering and the Institute for Energy Systems
A complementary wave-only test tank on campus at King’s Buildings (the ‘Curved Tank’) is in the process of being upgraded to a parallel standard and means the possibilities for companies to test their products at the University are multiplied. When reinforced by a team of academics at the forefront of ocean energy research, companies can be sure that they have access to a unique proposition, a wealth of knowledge and the latest cutting-edge facilities.
Find out more about this facility : http://www.flowavett.co.uk